Saturday, February 24, 2007

 

My appologies

Just want to appologise for not posting for a while. Not much has happened around here except that I failed to double my traffic. Not sure why, everything that seemed to be working just stopped for a while.

Game for a link got lots of links to start but after a while barely any takers and I noticed a sales drop. Guess people didn't like the idea of paying for a game that is free to other people (the Ad was on my home page).

I also removed the Flash games after a sale drop, I was worried that they were distracting people away from my own games. Also there just aren't enough shooter games out I can keep adding to the site every week. Maybe every month at best.

SEO stuff hasn't worked, simply not moving up (or down) in the SERPs no matter what I try just lately.

My total traffic currently sits at about 2400 distinct hosts per day.

Honestly I'm starting to believe the only really efficient way to spend my time is to finish another game. After I've finished my current development contract(which is for a really cool space shooter btw) I'll finish off my Action RPG. Hoping that will be done sometime in or just after April.

Comments:
SEO just makes me sick. I don't know why some freakin' crack sites get higher rank in google that my official website that even has a domain containing all keywords used in a query - the only explanation is that they appeared in google before me.
 
It's unfortunate but there is really no way for google to know what is the official site and what isn't. Further more google doesn't know whether the user searching for 'pink widgets' actually wants the official site or not.

Age of the site, the amount of incoming links and being the first to appear for that game name makes a big difference. IE I always get to #1 for searches of my game names because I make sure Google has indexed the page long before I allow any affiliates or portals to get it. This is not full proof, especially if your game name is very generic or similar to something else. Also I'm guessing that a brand new domain isn't going to beat a 5 year old site with loads of link popularity no matter how early it indexed the page.

SEO is annoying but there is no other way, either do it or your site won't be found.
 
On the bright side, it could be worse. When I get 100 hits per day I'm amazed at the huge traffic spike.
 
Your blog is too depressive. Come on! Cheer up and work harder and eventually you will reach your success!
 
Neil update! I enjoy reading your blog. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?