Monday, September 18, 2006

 

Update: Doubling my Income

Well it's pretty much not working. Here is the summary for the week.

Newsletter:
Of the estimated 15 affiliate sales I got.... 2! I'm guessing a lot of the people on the newsletter had already tried the game I was showing them since the game was only actually downloaded by 200 of my 4000 newsletter subscribers.

Affiliate ADs:
Zero sales.

Google ADs:
Started off with them everywhere and they were only generating $2-$3 CPM. This is really terrile as before I was managing to get $5 or more. However I now seem to remember one of the reasons I stopped the ADs last time was that the CPMs started to fall to these kinds of levels. Income with Adsense seems incredibly variable. Perhaps last time I was just lucky that there were more relevent and high paying adverts about. I'm going to try putting some AdBrite and Yahoo Ads instead and see how that pans out.

Another thing to point out is that quite often non games related ADs would be shown on my site. For example the Mighty Rodent page ended up with a lot of ads for World of Warcraft gold for some strange reason. Possibly AdBrite or Yahoo will give me slightly more control over what ADs are displayed, but from what I've heard these two rarely pan out earning you as much as Google.

After seeing how badly they were doing for the first few days I decided to try Chris Evans idea and put up flash games with ADs on them but removed the others from my site. Well, while my site looks much nicer now, the income is even worse. Getting about 0.20c a day from that! Though these games will most likely bring in extra repeat visitors and maybe some from the odd flash games portal that will link to my game pages.

Conclusion:
If I carry on with everything as I had laid out in my last blog post for a month I estimate the ACTUAL extra income would be a massive: $125. Baring in mind I was aiming for $300 this result isn't great, but not completely terrible.

Luckily I still have 3.5 months to tweak this and hopefully get it to around $300 as I had planned. I'll try AdBrite, Yahoo ADs and maybe some others to boost my revenue. I may also try tweaking the wording on some of my pages to get AdSense to display some more targetted stuff. I'm also going to try some different placement of these adverts.

Comments:
You'll make it. Don't give up :)
 
I wonder how many newsletter subscribers actualy got it. I have the same problem as you do - I send newsletter but see small impact of it. My guess - newsletter got spam filtered.
 
Hi, why dont you put google ads on you weblog? Currently there won't be much revenue probably, but if you continue posting and you get more and more visitors it's probably a nice extra income?
 
Well I plan to do that eventually if the blog becomes popular. But I think having the ADs on here at such an early stage may annoy people and put them off becomming regular readers.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?