Friday, September 22, 2006

 

Doubling My Traffic

By Christmas I aim to have doubled my traffic. Seems like a massive task, but in the past I have managed to double it within a few months, so it IS possible. Although last time I was aiming to go from about 300 daily visitors to 600. This time it's more like 1000 to 2000 =)

My 'Game for a link' promotion seems to be working fairly well and already got a lot of links back to my site, each of which are pulling a nice chunk of visitors. The next step is to send out a press release which will hopefully lead to even more linky goodness. Currently with just advetising this promotion on my site I reckon I'm getting about 1 link every 3 days or so. Each one of these links seems to be pulling an average of 20 users per day. This means that by christmas these links should be pulling an extra 600 visitors per day. Though the quality of this traffic may not be great, as not all of these sites will be games related. So although my traffic will have increased 60%, it doesn't mean my earnings will have. But possibly a press release will lead to more than an extra 600 per day.

It's important to note that links have two tasks: to get more traffic, and to improve search engine rankings. So the 'game for a link' promotion may end up improving my traffic by much more than the literal visitors I get sent.

Another way of getting links is through exchanges. I've already done a fair few of those and I think they do work, but each links value is likely to be minimal if you're just doing it through a small 'links' or 'partners' page. So instead I'm going to try some side wide link buttons. I put a link button on all my pages, and the partner links back to me on all their pages. This is great since it not only sends more visitors per exchange, but also gives a much higher search engine benefit. And setting one up takes the same amount of time as a normal exchange, so my ROI is much better for this kind of deal.

I've recently started hosting some flash games on my site which seems like a great way to get return visitors. Since people will have a reason to keep coming back to your site. Also there are a lot of sites that will link to your game page just to provide content to their users. For example I recently submitted Drakojan Skies to a certain site and the day they launched my game I got 4,500 extra visitors. Now I'm getting an extra 200 visitors per day just from that one submission. By adding more flash games and submitting them to sites like this I can quickly build up my traffic. Again these visitors will likely be of poor quality as they may not even find my shareware games or may only be interested in free stuff. But as this is such an easy way to get more traffic it seems worth it. If I try and add one game every week and submit to these sites I could have my daily traffic up by as much as 5,000.

Improving my search engine rankings is another sure fire way to get more traffic. I'm currently battling for 'shooting games' since this has quite a lot of people searching for it each day. Currently I'm 15th on google for this term. I estimate if I was #1 I'd get an extra 500 visitors per day. How to increase my rankings is a tough one, usually the process involves tweaking the wording on my site. If it results in a gain do more of the same, if it's a loss go back to how it was and try something else. Everytime I've worked on my rankings they have improved, so by doing every so often until christmas I'm confident I can nail an extra 500 visitors. These guys will probably be of good quality and well targetted to buy my games.

Comments:
Great stuff. Reading your blogs inspires me to try to get more serious about my website. Its also great to see a real world example of how website marketing is really done.
 
I'd be interested to know where you are promoting this? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I suspect I am not the sort of person who would read this on the places you have advertised.

I tried a free games for bloggers promotion on my site and whilst it got me some reviews it didn't do as well as I had hoped.
 
Interesting ideas. May try some of them. Anyway, it depends on the game, but I would not expect that PR will give you 600 visitors a day (especially in the long run). At least it didn't bring that many people to my site.
 
I think you misunderstood. The press release is to advertise my game for a link promotion. The 600 I estimated was assuming I get one link every 3 days through the promotion. I estimated those links earned by christmas would give me an extra 600 visitors per day. With the press release that figure should be higher.
 
I assume your stats are removing bots,scrapers and trawlers and they are pure human hits yes?

Bots can triple your visit count though I'm sure you have them taken out of your stats (i.e I know you are not daft) I was just wondering if those are actual stats "1000 hits a day" if so well done.
 
It's 1000 according to google analytics which I'm pretty certain only tracks humans.
 
Ben:

The only promotion I've done for it has been on my own site. Planning a press release soon though.

I think the reason you may not have done so well with the reviews is that they take a considerable amount of time to write. Where as a link takes only about 3 minutes. Also a lot of reviewers are used to getting a free full version anyway so it may not seem special to them.
 
Interesting point about the barrier to entry. I hadn't thought about how long it took to do.

Reviewers getting free copies isn't an issue though as I was looking for people who are not reviewers, just normal people with blogs, to review the games.

I got a few links but not as many as I'd like. I think I'll try again some time in the future but for now I have other things on the boil.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?